



Well today was an emotional day for me. I watched as my baby boy showed some extreme maturity, even though he is just 6 years old. Brandt was competing in his 2nd triathlon through the YMCA. The first one was very fun, and he was excited to go when we arrived in the valley. Waiting to get in the water, he was a bit nervous. He did wonderful on the swim. He had four lengths to do, and he finished near the top of the group. He had a really quick transition, and was off on his bike. He was gaining on the kids in front of home. Next thing I know, I am watching him stand next to his bike at the corner just out of the parking lot. Being a mom, I was concerned that he had fallen and gotten hurt. I raced over to see what was up. When I got there, I learned that he had blown out his front bike tire. He was done. We walked back over to the Y pushing the bike and let Mike know that he was done. Well, one of the organizers heard us and suggested we could borrow a bike. Brandt wanted to finish, so he ran over and borrowed a kids bike. Off he went, last on on the bike trail. He races out and back and does a great job. He brings his bike to the transition zone, and is going too fast on the gravel. He wipes out, flying over the handle bars. When he gets up he has scratches on his chest, and he is limping, but he had a real determination and wanted to finish the race. Off he went, limping, to start the running portion of the race. He grew stronger as he ran, and was sprinting across the finish line. He was battered, bruised, and dirty, but happy to have finished the race. He talks about how God wanted him to finish the race. I am more proud of his attitude and determination in this race than I was when he won his first triathlon. I know he learned more from this experience. I was in tears as I watched him dirty and sore run the last lap. I am a proud mommy. Here are pictures of his swim, and then him with his finishers medal and broken bike.
2 comments:
He is so amazing! You've got me in tears I'm so proud of him! Wow, that is an attitude that will get him so far in life. I am totally impressed. Give him hugs and loves from me. I hope he recovers quickly from his injuries.
Brandt,
We are so proud of you for finishing the race the other day. You are such a trooper, you never gave up. I hope we can come and watch you the next time you have a race.
Love, Granma and Granpa L
Post a Comment