Tuesday, October 23, 2012

An amazing adventure

What to say, after going through such an amazing time and seeing God work in an amazing way.  I am almost at a loss for words, but I will power on and try to put down what this experience has been like for us.  When we started the process, I don't think we understood the impact it would have on us and on our family.  I don't think we realized, because we were so busy doing paperwork and having meetings, and obsessing over dates and everything else,  but we didn't realize how amazing the process of adoption is.  We arrived in China after a couple of days in Hong Kong, feeling more like tourists.  The guides gave us a quick tour and told us about local attractions, but truly we were not there for local attractions, we were there to adopt a child.  When we got to the facility where we were receiving Grace, we were with about 10-15 other couples also waiting for their children.  There was a sense of excited anticipation in the room.  It was chaotic, and we just sat back and watched as each of the families was united with their child.  We were told Grace hadn't arrived yet, so we just enjoyed other people's moments.  It was amazing to see the excitement so many had for their new child.  These were orphans. Children abandoned by the ones that are supposed to love them most on this earth.  I am so glad my father in heaven is not like a parent on earth, and he will not abandon us.  After what seemed like an eternity, we saw this tiny little peanut carried into the room.  We didn't think it was Grace because she was so tiny.  When they came and got us, and told us that was our daughter, I was overcome.  I had the exact same feelings with her, that I had with each of my biological children.  I was instantly in love and awe of this precious little thing in my arms.  She was screaming.  Scared and absolutely overcome with the craziness of the moment.  She was removed from the only thing she had ever known.  It doesn't matter that she was sleeping in a crib with a wood bottom and metal bars, with no blankets and no cushions, or that she had never really been held and cuddled.  She didn't know what she was missing, and wanted what was familiar.  Does that sound similar to a person who has not yet accepted the gift of Jesus Christ and salvation?  You cling to what you know and what is comfortable, not understanding how amazing it is when you surrender your life to God.  We know Grace's life will never be the same and will be so much better, but she didn't know that.  She would startle every time I would move with her.  Holding her was so foreign, she was scared by it.  She was so tiny, I just felt I needed to protect her.  I was changed in a drastic way that day.  I knew what it was to see someone that was not loved and what that does to them.  Love is powerful and it completes us.  It is what makes a person a person.  We just surrounded her and talked to her and calmed her, and if we sat in one place and didn't move, she would calm down and just look.  She has the biggest eyes.  She is constantly just studying people.  That first day was a shock to me.  It was a shock to see how small and neglected our daughter was.  It was a shock to feel such emotion for a person we had just met.  It was a shock to realize she was no longer an orphan.  I am a different person inside, and I will never be the same.  I am thankful.  I will get into the story more next post, but it is late and I am tired.  I am back on solo duty as Mike is back to work.  He is enjoying a quiet hotel room, (just kidding honey, I know you are lonely and miss us too), and the kiddos are all asleep.  Grace has settled into our little family and is just another Kelly.  She sleeps very well now that she has adjusted to our time zone.  She is healthy and eating pretty well.  She is learning how to eat solids.  We are seeing a surgeon soon to discuss her cleft lip and palate and what our plan of action is.  She loves her siblings and she is learning to like the cat and dog.  She loves to be held and played with.  We love having her in our family.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful adventure Selina. Reading about your journey brings me to tears and chills. I cannot wait to continue following it.

Lindh Family said...

Thank you for recording and sharing this experience. Love truly is an amazing thing. We're so happy for Grace that she is adjusting well to this wonderful new life that she has. What a wonderful answer to prayer.